Waikato District Council in Pokeno
Amenities and services
Here’s a summary of what you’ll find in Pokeno:
- Broadband available
- One church
- Pokeno Hall
- Sports clubs and sports and recreational venues: there are 12 hectares of dedicated sports parks reserves and wetlands. There are also walkways yet to be developed
- Pokeno bus services (inter-regional only)
- Local governance via the Waikato District Council and the Onewhero-Tuakau Community Board.
Nearest other amenities and services outside Pokeno:
- Libraries in Tuakau and Pukekohe
- Medical centre in Tuakau
- Other medical centres, dentists and an after-hours emergency service at Pukekohe via the Pukekohe Family Health Care Centre
- Closest hospital: Middlemore Hospital 40km away in Auckland
- Retirement homes/villages are in nearby Tuakau or 15 minutes away in Pukekohe
- The closest train station is at Pukekohe. A train trip from Pukekohe to the centre of Auckland city takes just over one hour.
Pokeno has one playcentre (for the under-fives) and one primary school (years 1 to 8), catering for children within the town and from nearby, including from Tuakau and lifestyle and farming properties. The primary school is expected to grow over the next few years. Most students go on to secondary education at the high school in neighbouring Tuakau, which caters for children from intermediate to high school level (years 7 to 13).
More about Pokeno and the Waikato district
The Open Waikato website also has a wealth of background information on the Waikato district, whether you're building or developing here; thinking of moving here; or wanting to know about businesses, industry, current projects and developments, case studies, demographics, land values, migration, population and other future projections for the district or a specific area within it.
Take a quick tour with Mayor Allan Sanson as he explains why you should visit, live and invest in the Waikato district.
Find out more about iwi in our district and land and property including planning, development, resource consents and building consents.