Zero Waste workshops
Our waste vision is for zero waste and resource recovery to be an integral part of our community.
With this in mind, we are planning on running workshops that are designed to help the community minimise their waste as much as possible.
If you are interested in any of the following workshops:
- reduce your household waste, including food waste
- waste free parenting
- worm farming/making compost to keep food waste out of landfills
Register your interest here
Love Food Hate Waste
Love Food Hate Waste has put together some tips to help you reduce food waste when you are cooking.
- Plan your meals
- Purchase ingredients that can be used in lots of meals
- Be realistic about what you need - especially with fruit and vegetables
- Buy dry goods (couscous, oats), spices, dried fruits nuts and snack foods from bulk food stores
- Choose frozen vegetables
- Go for prepared meals to reduce the waste of leftover unused ingredients
- Divide and conquer by keeping bread in the freezer, freeze half of your cheese and freeze the milk you won't use up!
- Portion meat before freezing it
- Freeze everything, you can take this quiz if you're not sure which foods can be frozen, take our quiz
- Cook once, reheat all week
- Get to know what you need
- Have a good rotation of go-to meals
- Want to bake but don't want to eat a whole cake?
Find out more tips at www.lovefoodhatewaste.co.nz
Check out some more meal ideas in the Summer Easy Choice cookbook.