Resource consents

Note: Some resource consent forms have changed recently. Learn more about this changes.

Resource consent types and activities

When developing land, you need to be aware that different types of consents may be required in relation to land use, land development, subdivision and building and renovation activities on properties within the Waikato district. This applies to property in our rural areas as well as our towns and settlements, which include Huntly, Ngaruawahia, Raglan, Te Kauwhata, Pokeno, Tuakau, Horotiu, Port Waikato, Taupiri, Tamahere or Meremere.

Know enough about resource consents already? Get a resource consent form and apply for your consent now - and check out our  resource consent fees

There are two broad types of resource consent - land use consent and subdivision consent. You may need to apply for resource consent in relation to your property if you are carrying out any minor or major works or activities which might infringe on a rule within our District Plan. This includes (but is not limited to):

  • earthworks, significant landscaping, infrastructure works
  • making changes which might affect immediate or nearby neighbours or the environment
  • planning to subdivide or develop your land.

If it turns out that you don't need resource consent, then you may still want to apply for a certificate of compliance  which officially states that consent is not needed for your activity (this isn't compulsory but it does give you an official record of compliance which might come in handy in the future).

Note that applying for a building consent is a separate process supported by our building quality team. See building consents, guidance and inspections for more information.

Land use consent - typical activities Dependent persons dwellings, building too close to your boundary, additions and alterations to buildings and controls on buildings and structures, land modification such as earthworks, childcare centres, retail, industrial and commercial activities.Any land use consent that is granted is attached to the property (as opposed to a specific person), unless specifically stated in the consent. This type of resource consent will usually have a number of conditions that will need to be complied with.

Note: If you are applying for resource consent for land use then you will need to complete the Supplementary pack land use as well as complete the Application for resource consent.

Subdivision consent - typical activities

These include the creation of a new freehold title, cross-lease or unit title development (e.g. a block of flats) or an adjustment  to a boundary. 

A subdivision consent will normally have a number of conditions which may require engineering approvals (see resource consent process and consented subdivisions - next steps). 

Note: If you are applying for resource consent for land use then you will need to complete the Supplementary Pack Subdivision as well as complete the Application for resource consent.

What you need to know

You need to be aware that any activity, building work or subdivision you undertake on land will need to comply with the Waikato District Plan  to make sure all environmental effects are managed under the Resource Management Act 1991. Depending on what you are planning to do you may also need to confirm any requirements with the Waikato Regional Council (formerly Environment Waikato). 

The Waikato District Plan outlines property zones and these allow for different activities, effects, building and property sizes (note these zones are not related to rating zones - see rates for that information). 

Some properties may also fall within one or more designated policy areas. If so, these properties will need to comply with the relevant rules for that area, which could relate to things like heritage and protecting our environment, including conservation areas or protecting special landscapes. For example, the earthworks standards are stricter for properties which are located within a landscape policy area.

New application forms

Over the last 9 months Waikato District Council have been collaborating with other Councils within the Waikato region to standardise some of our application forms and letters. The most notable change is that the Resource Consent Application form has been standardised and is now a combined form for subdivision and land use consents.  You will start to see this form being rolled out across Councils within the Region from the 1 August 2018.  

This means that you will be able to pick up a form from any Council within the Waikato (excluding Taupo & Otorohanga) and apply for your resource consent using the same standardised form.  Although please note some Councils may also have a specific supplementary pack  that will also need to be completed and submitted with your resource consent application form for an application to be accepted as complete.  

Waikato District Council has a supplementary pack , containing additional forms for payment, NES and development contributions.  There are separate packs for land use and subdivision as the information requirements for NES and development contributions varies slightly dependent upon the type of consent you are applying for. 

It is essential the applicable pack is completed and submitted as part of your application, as this will ensure a complete application is received by Council.  Should you have any questions about this, please do not hesitate to contact Council’s Duty Planner Service.

Please note you need to lodge with any new application for resource consent a separate Certificate of Title. Please ensure the Certificate of Title as received from Land Information New Zealand is no more than (3) months old.

Get in touch with us first

It pays to check with Council at the initial stages of your project planning to confirm what the District Plan requirements are and whether you will need resource consent.

Contact a duty planner online or freephone 0800 492 452.

If your application requires more technical advice, you can either get in touch with an independent planning consultant, or work with one of our processing planners using our resource consents 'pre-application' service, outlined below.  You can also use the links at left to get more information and advice.

You can also use our pre-application service - click on the link at left to find out more.

More information

Here are some other useful links for further planning and development information. 

The Ministry or the Environment publishes a number of helpful guides to the Resource Management Act.   

  • An Everyday Guide to the Resource Management Act Series.
  • Your Guide to the Resource Management Act.
  • A beginners guide to the Resource Management and Building Consent processes under the Resource Management Act 1991 and the Building Act 2004.
  • Applying for a Resource Consent.
  • Consultation for Resource Consent Applicants.
  • A Guide to Preparing a Basic Assessment of Environmental Effects.
  • Your Rights as an ‘Affected Person’.
  • Making a Submission about a Resource Consent Application.
  • Appearing at a Resource Consent hearing.

Related documents


Related links