Building consents

Note: Building Consent applications will take longer than usual to process between 20 December 2018 - 10 January 2019 due to the Christmas and New Year holidays.

Different types of consents may be required in relation to land use, land development and building and renovation activities on properties within the Waikato district.

Changes to the Resource Management Act came into effect on 18 October 2017. Click here to learn more about these changes.

Why building consents are important

The consents process gives us a chance to work together with you, providing advice on what you need to know and do, to achieve your goals within the regulatory requirements of the Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA), the Building Act 2004 and our District Plan

Together we can ensure that any effects of planning, developing and building on our environment and our infrastructure needs are managed sustainably and any construction of new buildings or alterations to existing buildings are carried out safely. Completed new and altered buildings should also achieve the required high levels of quality and safety.

Note, the information below applies to building consents only: resource consents are a completely separate process. Find out how to apply for resource consents.

When a building consent is required

You will need to apply for a building consent if your project involves:

  • Construction and demolition.
  • Alteration of buildings.
  • Conversion of buildings.
  • Site works.
  • Swimming pools.
  • Fences.
  • Signs.
  • Plumbing.
  • Drainage.
  • Solid fuel heaters.
  • Solar Heaters.

(If you have a pool and aren't sure if you are on our Pool Register, please contact us on our freephone 0800 492 452 or email them at

When carrying out these activities, you need to be aware of how your building project may affect services and facilities such as water, wastewater, stormwater and other infrastructure and engineering standards. The building consent process helps us work together to ensure any effects are anticipated and managed safely and effectively.

If you are unsure if you need to apply for a building consent, please contact our Building Quality team on our freephone 0800 492 452 or email them at

Applying for a building consent

If you are ready to apply for a building consent now, see the Waikato Building Consent Group website for building consent and related reports and certificate forms, along with a wealth of building consent-related information and resources.

Note: We’ve recently changed the way we accept building consent applications to make it quicker and easier for you. You can now email your application with a file share link (e.g. Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive) to or you can save your application to a USB stick and post it to us or drop it off at one of our offices.

We’ve created an information brochure that clearly explains how to submit your building consent, including file type and size limits.

We’ve also made some other changes with you in mind. You’ll now receive the BLD number at the beginning of the application process which will make it easier if you want to make a payment online. It will also allow you to track your building consent online using the Track your consent button above.

Once your building consent application has been received, you will be able to track the consent as it is processed using our online tracking tool.

Resource consents

As mentioned above, resource consents follow a completely different process from the building consents process. You may instead (or also) need to apply for resource consent (in relation to land use or subdivision) if you are carrying out any minor or major works or activities which might infringe on a rule within our District Plan. This includes (but is not limited to):

  • earthworks, significant landscaping, infrastructure works
  • making changes which might affect immediate or nearby neighbours or the environment
  • planning to subdivide or develop your land.

Find out how to apply for resource consents.

How we can help you

As a member of the Waikato Building Consent Group, our Waikato District Council Building Quality team is here to help you every step of the way. We work together with the other seven councils within the group, to bring consistency to the building consent process and make life easier for you by guiding you through the building consent process.

Our Building Quality team

Our Building Quality team currently receives and issues around 2,000 building consents per year, along with consents for a wide range of building related projects, from wood burning heaters to multi-storey buildings. The team also:

  • provides advice and assistance around the building consents process
  • processes the consents
  • carries out building inspections
  • records and monitors building warrants of fitness
  • ensures the provisions of the Building (Pools) Amendment Act 2016 are complied with. 

Contact our Building Quality team if:

  • you'd like to sit down and chat with us first before beginning your building consent application
  • you require more information and/or advice when preparing your application or after your application has been submitted
  • you'd like to request a building inspection.

Our main office in Ngaruawahia deals with all building related enquiries, including booking inspection appointments and Certificates of Public Use, Notice to Fix, Infringements and Unauthorised Building Work Notices. We also have Building Quality team staff including inspectors in our Tuakau office who will pick up these enquiries from our main office as appropriate.

Building inspectors are available for appointments within the following times:

  • Ngaruawahia office - Monday to Thursday, 8.00am to 10.00am, Friday 9.00am to 10.00am.
  • Tuakau office - Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 8.30am to 10.00am.

To make a building consent or technical enquiry - or to book a building inspection - call the team on our freephone 0800 492 452 or email them at

To help with processing efficiency, our building consent processing officers (building, engineering, planning) focus solely on processing applications between 10.00am - 3.00pm each day. If you call between these times with a processing question we’ll take a message and a processing officer will get back to you. Our building consent processing officers aim to respond to phone and email enquiries before 10.00am the next business day.

Waikato Building Consents Group website

The Waikato Building Consents Group website is for anyone who is working in the local building industry or is involved in a building project, large or small. The group website provides extensive information on the building consent process, building consent requirements and other information, including:

The Waikato Building Consent Group website also provides other relevant information you may need for your building project, including links to other useful websites 

See our District Plan and Waikato district ward maps - and use our Maps Online tool - to find out more about properties in the Waikato district.

Get more property information from Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) and Maaori Land Online - Maaori land records

Costs and development contribution fees

Note that the cost of a full consent will vary depending on what you've applied for, the overall value of the works and how complex your application and its assessment might be. However, ensuring you supply the complete information and documentation required with your consent application is one area where your efforts can keep time and costs down at the processing end.

Read the current 2015/16 Policy and related appendices on our fees and charges to find out more.

The Waikato Building Consent Group website also has a summary of the components included in building consent fees and charges and also links to fees and charges information in relation to all seven councils within the group.


  1. 'Restricted building work' is defined as " and construction work that is critical to the integrity of a building...". This type of work can only be carried out by someone who is a licensed building practitioner (LBP) or is supervised by someone who holds an LBP licence. For more details, see 'Licensed Building Practitioners Scheme' information on the Waikato Building Consent Group website.

Related links