Waikato District Libraries will soon have some amazing new library cards featuring local artwork.
In celebration of Matariki (Maaori New Year), people were asked to design a library card or write a poem. The age categories were 5-9 years old, 10-15 years old and 16 years and over. Winners were announced yesterday at a prize giving in the Council Chambers.
Congratulations to Te Amotawa Steward from Ngaruawahia, Hyacinth Talbo from Huntly and Jasmine Dahm from Raglan, whose artwork will be used as the new library cards.
Winners of the poem section were Leila Steward from Ngaruawahia, Luna De La Cruz from Raglan and Lauren Hughes from Te Kauwhata. The winning poems will be displayed in our libraries and offices.
The supreme winner was awarded to Luna De La Cruz.
“This year we received 567 entries made up of 175 poems and 392 library cards,” says Customer Support General Manager Sue O’Gorman. “The quality of the entries was outstanding and we congratulate everyone that entered, and acknowledge the great work of our winners and the runners-up. Several of the winners have been acknowledged in previous years and it’s fantastic to see that their enthusiasm is still there.”
This is the fifth year the competition has been held.
“We love being able to showcase the local talent and it’s also a great way to celebrate Matariki, which is a very special time of year,” says Mrs O’Gorman.
The competition was judged by two very talented local residents; Tuakau author Janet Pates and artist Lyndy Wilson from Ngaruawahia. The judges don’t know who has created each entry to avoid any bias.
The awards were presented by Mayor Allan Sanson. Each winner received a $60 Prezzy voucher, while those awarded runner up have received a $30 Prezzy voucher. The supreme winner was also awarded a gift voucher and a trophy.
List of winners and runners up:
- Supreme winner: Luna De La Cruz from Raglan
- Library card winner – age 5-9 years: Te Amotawa Steward, from Ngaruawahia
- Library card runner up – age 5-9 years: Blake Brown from Te Kauwhata
- Library card winner – age 10-15 years: Hyacinth Talbo from Huntly
- Library card runner up - age 10-15 years: Yasmin Whyte from Ngaruawahia
- Library card winner – 16+: Jasmine Dahm from Raglan
- Library card runner up - 16+: Frank Mahu from Huntly
- Poem winner – age 5-9 years: Leila Steward from Ngaruawahia
- Poem runner up – age 5-9 years: Seb Farrell from Mercer
- Poem winner – age 10-15 years: Luna De la Cruz from Raglan
- Poem runner up – age 10-15 years: Cylueya Paikea- Takiari from Ngaruawahia
- Poem winner – 16+: Lauren Hughes from Te Kauwhata
- Poem runner up – 16+: Heather Burke from Raglan.